DAGTEK is a part of Kårkulla samkommun, which offers services for people with learning disabilities or autistic spectrum disorders. The activities Dagtek offers are divided into several sections that all focus on different areas.
In Dagtek’s arts&crafts workshop there are four different workshops with different textile crafts, visual arts and ceramics. Each workshop has a coach who coordinates and leads the activities. The Dagtek’s arts&crafts workshop community consists for the moment of 22 persons, mostly women, with minor challenges with learning and four workshop coaches/mentors.
The participants in the LO (Livsorienterad verksamhet in Swedish) life skills activities need a lot of guidance and support in their daily activities. The LO activities take place in small groups consisting of 2–4 people and are always planned according to the condition, interests and needs of the participants. About 20 people take part in the LO activities daily, some of them participating also in the activities of the arts & crafts workshop Dagtek facilitates. Dagtek’s daily activities consist of, for example, music, arts and crafts, painting, different games and going outside for walks. The goal is to encourage every participant to be active, get involved, make their own decisions and affect the content of their daily lives, taking into consideration every participant’s individual starting points.
- Location: Dagtek is located in Ekenäs (Tammisaari in Finnish). Ekenäs is a small town of about 15 000 inhabitants and it is situated by the sea in the Southern Finland. The majority language is Swedish (81%) and only about 17% of the population speak Finnish. Ekenäs is a part of the Raseborg commune (28 000 inhabitants). Dagtek is located in the centre of the town.
- Volunteer’s role, tasks: Through ESC volunteer cooperation, Dagtek wishes to offer its community members a possibility to build networks and get a wider perspective on the world around us. At the same time, we hope to have one more person to be present for our clients and assist in the daily workshop activities and in social and practical situations during the day.
- In the arts&crafts workshop the role of the volunteer is to support the clients with special needs in their textile crafts work, art activities, exhibition visits and all kinds of daily activities. According to their skills and interests, the volunteer can also organise activities and teach the clients new skills especially related to arts&crafts. Despite of their learning disabilities and other special needs, most of the clients of Dagtek workshop are quite independent in their daily activities. Thus, the role of the workers and the volunteer is not to take care of them, but to teach and guide them in the arts&crafts activities and to support their independence in different situations.
- The volunteer’s role in the LO life skills activities is to support and give guidance, but also help in the clients’ daily activities related to meal times, going to the toilet and walks outside, as well as walking the clients to and from their car transportation when they arrive and leave Dagtek. According to their skills and interests, the volunteer can also organize activities for small groups or individually. Dagtek values different creative activities such as music, arts and dancing. Dagtek’s clients also appreciate, for example, having a possibility to bake together with the volunteer every now and then. The volunteer can also contribute in the production of pedagogic and photographic materials and the documentation of Dagtek’s activities through photographing, for example.
- Volunteer’s requirements: It is important that the volunteer is socially active, flexible and motivated to participate in the community life as being there for the participants, being social, talking with the people, and bringing up their ideas to the colleagues and mentors. The working language of Dagtek is Swedish, so is important that the volunteer is motivated to learn Swedish.
- For Dagtek’s arts&crafts workshop we hope to find a volunteer with specific skills or interest and motivation in visual arts or art in a wider perspective; ceramics, photography, dancing etc. Having a volunteer with interest in arts would enrich our community and give the volunteer a genuine possibility to share their skills and experience.
- For LO life skills activities Dagtek hopes that they can receive a volunteer interested in working with adults (18–60-year-olds) who have developmental disorders. Dagtek also wishes that the volunteer has good social skills and is open to meeting new people. The voluntary workplace appreciates flexibility and a positive outlook on life and other people. It is also important that the volunteer is able to tolerate fast-changing situations. Experiences or skills in alternative communication methods are an advantage, but not a requirement. If you feel like you have the ability to motivate and encourage people and awaken their interest in participating and being active, you are a good match for Dagtek’s team!
- Dagtek’s arts&crafts workshop: The physical environment of the workplace is suitable for young people with physical, sensory or other disabilities. Wheelchair access is possible through the backdoor, and there is an accessible toilet in the building. Since Dagtek works with people with physical, cognitive or social challenges, we have good skills in offering occasionally extra support for the volunteer if needed. However, we do not have the possibility to offer continuously intensive extra support for the volunteer.
- LO life skills activities: The workplace unfortunately does not have resources to offer support for volunteers with physical, sensory or other disabilities. If you feel you would be able to carry out the volunteering tasks rather independently but are unsure if the position would be suitable for you, please contact us for consultation before sending the application.
- Accommodation, food and transportation: The volunteer will most probably be accommodated in a local host family. Lunch is offered at Dagtek and other meals are provided by the host family. The possible daily commuting costs are covered for the volunteer.
- Website of the organization: www.karkulla.fi/enheter/vastra-nyland
- Social media: Facebook
- Available volunteering positions: No volunteering positions currently available.