SPESIA (former Validia Vocational College) is an educational institution which provides vocational education and training for students with special needs and rehabilitative instruction and guidance for disabled students. It has some 600 students and some 280 staff members. Spesia was established in 1948 and it is owned by the Finnish Association of People with Physical Disabilities (FPD).
- Location: Spesia Vocational College is situated in Järvenpää (35 000 inhabitants), about 40 km North from Helsinki.
- Volunteer’s role, tasks and requirements: Spesia offers many kinds of tasks for a volunteer interested in supporting students with special needs. The tasks may include assisting and helping the students, supporting teachers with different classes, as well as organising free time activities for the students. The main thing for the volunteer is the motivation to cooperate and support the disabled students to succeed in their studies and everyday life. It is also important that the volunteer has at least basic English knowledge – and the motivation to learn Finnish language!
- Accommodation: The volunteer will be accommodated in the student dormitory for most of the time. During school holidays when the dormitory is closed, the volunteer stays with local support family.
- Website of the organisation: www.spesia.fi
- Available volunteering positions: No positions are available, please check again later.