SEURAKUNTAOPISTO (The Church Training College) is a private educational learning institution run by Kirkkopalvelut. Seurakuntaopisto has campus areas in Järvenpää, Pieksämäki, Lapua, Nykarleby and Ruokolahti. We have app. 2000 annual students and app. 180 employees. Seurakuntaopisto is specialized in social and health care education, the humanities and various church professions. We also offer preparatory training and guidance as well as short courses. Although being a mainstream vocational college Seurakuntaopisto offers and develops educational services also for immigrants and people with special needs (caused by learning problems, mental disability etc.). We also organize leisure time activities for the students, because many of them stay in our dormitory during their study weeks. Aim of our background organization Kirkkopalvelut is to build bridges between people, communities and church.
- Location: The volunteer will mainly work at the campus in Pieksämäki. Pieksämäki is a small town in the Eastern Finland, and Seurakuntaopisto is located 1,5 km away from the Pieksämäki town centre. Nearby there is a very beautiful park, lake and a small beach (beach volley possibilities in the summer). Depending on the volunteer’s skills and interests, some working weeks can be done in Järvenpää unit. Järvenpää is situated in the Southern Finland, 35 km north from Helsinki.
- Volunteer’s role and tasks: The role of the volunteer is to bring intercultural aspects to the everyday life of the college and students, providing them a possibility for language practice and intercultural learning. Volunteers will have tasks as assistants with our instructors with the groups of special need learners. The need for assistance is either daytime during the lessons, or in the evening related to the leisure time activities. Volunteers will learn a lot about working with people with disabilities and what kind of support and possibilities they have in the Finnish society. By assisting students the volunteers also have a possibilities to learn about music, cooking, arts and handicrafts. Another important learning aspect is the communication, social capacity and team working skills, not to forget improvement in English and Finnish language skills.
- Volunteers’ requirements: We are looking for a person with own-initiative and good interaction skills. Some knowledge or experience about disabilities is an advantage, but even more important is an open and positive attitude towards volunteering with people with special needs.
- Accommodation, food and transportation: Accommodation is provided at the student dormitory building situated in the Seurakuntaopisto campus area. The volunteers have private rooms, but kitchen, bathroom, sauna and laundry are shared with other volunteers and students. All meals are provided in the student restaurant. When the restaurant is closed during weekends or holidays, the volunteer will receive a food allowance.
- Website of the organisation: www.seurakuntaopisto.fi
- Social media:
- Organisation in the European Youth Portal
- Volunteers’ experiences
- Available volunteering positions: No volunteering positions available.