The Board of Maailmanvaihto
The board of our organization is in charge of our operations and co-operation with other non-governmental organizations. The board works on voluntary basis.
Maailmanvaihto’s board is selected by the general assembly, the highest decision-making body of the organization, which meets twice a year. All members of Maailmanvaihto are allowed to vote in the general assmebly. Maailmanvaihto has some seven hundred members.
- How did you end up joining in the activities of Maailmanvaihto?
- What sorts of tasks have you had in Maailmanvaihto?
- With what kind of a life philosophy do you approach your position as a board member and life in general?
Maiju Alakurtti, host families and voluntary workplaces
- I began as as an intern of Maailmanvaihto in the spring 2016.
- Afterwards I begun being a support person and now I am also a board member.
- One will always get along with a positive attitude!
Anne-Mari Ikonen, support persons and support families
- I worked as an intern at Maailmanvaihto in the summer 2016.
- I have been an intern and I have participated in the training camp team of Maailmanvaihto.
- Boldly fowards towards new adventures and challenges!
Ronja Junno, training camps
- I volunteered for a year in Bolivia and after my return in the autumn 2016 I wanted to join in the activities of Maailmanvaihto.
- I have been a support person, participated in different events and been a part of a training camp team.
- I always face new challenges with joy.
Roosa Kontiokari, chairperson
- I went to volunteer in Nepal through Maailmanvaihto in the autumn 2014. After my return I stayed in the activities of Maailmanvaihto.
- Many kinds! At least I have been a board member, participated in communication and training camp tasks and acted a school visitor.
- Life is much more fun when you know how to laugh at yourself and also a bit to other things, too.
Anna Lemström, 60th anniversary celebration, equality matters
- I started in the board of Maailmanvaihto in the beginning of 201. Before that I had volunteered in Ghana.
- I have worked in the communication team. I have got experience in social media tasks, presenting Maailmanvaihto in events and planning marketing. In addition, I work as the editor-in-chief of the magazine MaailmanVaihtoa – Volunteers’ Voices.
- Among the right people things tend to work out.
Suvi Niemelä, programme of outgoing volunteers
- I started in Maailmanvaihto as an intern in the summer 2012.
- I have been an intern, training camp instructor, support person and a member of the board.
- With small steps towards big aims.
Kaisa Rahko, MaailmanVaihtoa – Volunteers’ Voices magazine
- I went to volunteer in Peru in August 2014 and after my return in jumped along into voluntary tasks in Finland.
- During the couple of years I have worked as, e.g., a trainer, school visitor and presenter of the organization. In 2017 I participated in the communication team as another person in charge of the MaailmanVaihtoa magazine.
- By doing and boldly trying out things one learns the best, I think – both in the board of Maailmanvaihto and in life in general.
Alma Smolander, school visits
- I got to know Maailmanvaihto when I myself spent my gap year after upper secondary school in Vietnam. I worked in a school for disabled children. The work was very rewarding.
- After returning to Finland I have done school visits, mainly in upper secondary schools, and told about my experiences in a country of the global South. In the board I now work as a person in charge of the school visits.
- One gets by with a positive attitude.
Anna Ylitalo, social media
- I went to volunteer in Costa Rica through Maailmanvaihto in August 2014 and after returning to Finland I felt a need for peer support, sympathy and good meeting snacks. Despite all this it was only through coincide that I ended up into the board: I, by accident, participated in the autumn in the general assembly of the organization in which the board was selected. This is how it begun.
- I have worked as Maailmanvaihto’s school visitor, interviewed future volunteers, participated in meetings of a network of organiations of interntational volunteering, presented Maailmanvaihto in fairs and pondered upon communication matters in the meetings of the communication team.
- I get easily excited about new things, and I like to target my look into the unknown – there can be a new adventure around every corner!
- I volunteered through Maailmanvaihto for half a year in Ghana in the season 2014–2015.
- I have participated in presenting Maailmanvaihto at different events and interviewed applicants for volunteering.
- Boldly towards new and unknown things.