LEHTIMÄKI FOLK HIGH SCHOOL is a boarding school for youth and adults with special needs. The school offers 70 places for students and there are more than 100 different short term courses for disabled youth, adults and elderly as well as their families. The school also offers rehabilitation courses such as riding therapy, occupational therapy and physical therapy. Some training is aimed at increasing the occupational capacities of the people through, for example, computer literacy training.
- Location: Lehtimäki Special Folk High School is situated in Lehtimäki, a small village situated some 60 km away from the city of Seinäjoki.
- Volunteer’s role and tasks: The main task of the volunteers is to interact students with special needs during their lessons and leisure time, as well as to help them in their daily routines. The volunteers can also organize free-time activities for the mentally disabled students. Helping the kitchen staff also belongs to the tasks of the volunteers.
- Volunteer profile: It is important that the volunteers has motivation to work with people with special needs as well as good social skills and an open attitude. The voluntary workplace is especially looking for volunteers who have knowledge on horseback riding and stable work as well as volunteers with a musical background. The volunteers should also be willing to work in different kinds of tasks and to live in a small village in the country side.
- Accommodation, food and transportation: The volunteers will live in an apartment at the campus area. Meals are provided from the school restaurant. When the restaurant is closed during weekends or holidays, the volunteer will receive a food package. Lehtimäki is situated in the countryside, and there is no public local transport nearby except one daily bus to the nearest city of Seinäjoki. The volunteers will get reimbursement for one weekly return trip between Seinäjoki and Lehtimäki and the staff might also assist.
- Accessibility: The voluntary workplace unfortunately cannot host volunteers physical or sensory disabilities.
- Organisation in the European Youth Portal
- Website of the organisation: www.lehtimaenopisto.fi
- Social media:
- Available volunteering positions: No volunteering positions currently available.