Maailmanvaihto – ICYE Finland is a non-profit non-governmental organisation working in the field of international volunteering. We organise long-term volunteer work programs for young adults and aim at advacing intercultural understanding, equality, and peace.
Maailmanvaihto is a member of the International Cultural Youth Exchange (ICYE) Federation, which consists of 40 organisations worldwide. Maailmanvaihto coordinates ICYE and European Solidarity Corps volunteering activities. On a yearly basis, we send about 20–30 Finnish volunteers abroad and receive about 30–40 volunteers to Finland.
There are tree full-time staff members working at the office: Secretary General, Program Coordinator, and Communications Officer. Besides this, several voluntary coworkers join in organising Maailmanvaihto’s activities.
international cooperation, youth, youth work
Maailmanvaihto’s office is situated in the centre of the capital city Helsinki, about a ten minutes walk away from the central railway station.
Volunteers’ role and tasks
We want to offer our volunteer opportunities to learn about activities of a youth exchange organisation and media & communication work, as well as to get involved in intercultural learning. An international volunteer will enrich our organisational culture by bringing in their ideas and views of a young person from abroad.
The volunteer will support the office staff by informing young people about the volunteering possibilities and by supporting the staff in organising international volunteer programs.
The tasks of the volunteer include:
- Office work related to coordinating volunteer programs (e-mail communication, practical arrangements related to documents and travels, promoting available placements and assisting in the selection processes)
- Creating social media content, filming and editing videos, taking photos, and graphic design. (Adobe Creative Cloud programs are available for the volunteer to use.)
- Updating guidebooks and other material for the international volunteers
- Reviewing and updating our English website
- Participating in making the Maailmanvaihtoa magazine
- Presenting Maailmanvaihto at fairs and other events together with event teams
- Supporting organising trainings for volunteers and other events (e.g. facilitation, presentations, kitchen work, practical arrangements)
- A small own project based on one’s own skills and ideas, related to media and communication, such as a social media campaign.
This volunteering project is suited for someone who is interested in communication work (especially social media and video communication) and would like to know more about international volunteering and working in an international NGO. We are looking for someone with responsible approach to work and good organizational skills, as well as good teamwork and communication skills. Fluent English skills are useful in this volunteer work position. We expect that the participant takes own initiative, is eager to learn and use their skills, and brings forward new ideas.
Accommodation, food, and transportation
The volunteer will stay in a host family or live more independently in home accommodation in the capital area. The lunch will be provided in the form of lunch allowance and other meals will be provided by the host family. If it is needed to use public transportation to get to work, the monthly travel card costs will be covered.
In case you have a disability or a long-term illness, please contact us prior to applying in order to find out if we could offer you the needed support. In Maailmanvaihto’s office it is possible to move around with a wheelchair, but the office space is unfortunately not completely wheelchair accessible: there is a doorstep at the entrance which is approximately 7 cm high, and the toilet is not big enough for a wheelchair.
Maailmanvaihto’s social media
How to apply?
Unfortunately, we don’t currently have open positions to Maailmanvaihto – ICYE Finland’s office. Please, check again later!